Sunday, January 4, 2009

Two Starfish

Two Starfish

This was the first year that my family did not celebrate Christmas together in my parents’ home in Douglas, Massachusetts. Instead, on Christmas day, my mother, my father, my little sister, my husband, and I boarded a plane at the Worcester airport for Orlando. For two days, we visited my sister, Aimee, who lives in Gainesville, before we all headed up to St. Augustine to stay at a beach house for the rest of the week.

Although the weather and water temperature did not encourage swimming, I did walk along the water everyday, the sun shining down. I like to look down as I walk, searching for shells and beach glass. Childishly, I make a game of it, trying to find the largest or smoothest or strangest sea shell. Luck for me, my husband enjoys competition in any form, and happily walked beside me, trying to beat me in each category. We especially like the shells with holes in them, telling ourselves we could make shell necklaces (but we never do).

On our last full day in St. Augustine, we walked several miles down the beach. On the way back, I used my superstrength softball arm, to save several hermit crabs cowering in their shells from the frantically squawking seagulls looking hungrily on. Suddenly, my husband stopped and shouted for me to look at he sea find. He poked at a starfish. It was purple and outlined in a creamy yellow color and was a little bit larger than his hand.

It didn’t move. “Aw, esta morto. It’s dead,” I mourned.

He wanted to know if we could take it home. Envisioning the decay of all living matter, I said, no. We laid the starfish back in the sand and I went to wash my hands in the cleansing ocean waves. Leaning over, I saw an identical, if somewhat smaller starfish. This one too, seemed dead.

Wanting to capture their beauty, even in death, my husband put both starfish in the sand, told me to place my foot between them, and snapped a photo with the camera on his phone. We could almost pretend they were resurrected. Giving the two invertebrates a burial at sea, we walked back to the beach house, our bittersweet find captured forever.

4 comments:

Kayla said...

You're so lucky you were staying where it was warm! That's so sad that the starfish were both deat, and did you mean you threw something at the birds? You didn't throw the hermit crabs right? See you in school!

Mrs. Silveira said...

Yes. I threw the little hermit crabs hidden in their shells into the ocean to keep them away from the birds. They were dying! It was a desperate measure, but I tried to save them.

E-Lo said...

Hope I'm not too late... My vacation has been crazy because my whole family came to visit. I didnt have time to do anything. I just finished the book and wrote my review. Here is the web-site for it.

http://el-elo.blogspot.com/

I finally figured out how to use this thing... See you on Monday!!!

Holly said...

I liked how you added the Portuguese in there for that one part. I would feel weird going where its warm for the holidays when i'm used to new england weather during this time of year. I hope you had a good time, though.

:]